Sunday, August 10, 2008

Those Pointey Little Bullet Birds


I'm sure you have them too, these tiny fellas that fly like we only wish we could. I have absolutely no statistics to share . . . wingbeats per second, calories consumed, etc. But it's obvious, isn't it? Hummingbirds are just incredible works of not only physics but art, too. The color. The nervous behaviour. The unbelievable aerodynamics.

And they also have their dangerous side. I don't know about you but they fly much like a 30-06 and seem to me anyway, just as fast. And did I mention they're pointey at one end? I duck reflexively although I know perfectly well they'd never run into anybody. I mean, if they did they'd stick like an arrow, right?

For some reason they don't get along well, either. They spend more time making sure the other guy DOESN'T eat than they spend eating themselves. No wonder they're starved all the time.

And then there's the road trip they make every year. Mexico, isn't it? Can you imagine these aerial yellowjackets flying all that way? I mean they seem to fly awfully fast here at ground level, I wonder how in the world they have enough gas for a trip like that.

We bought those decals in the shape of butterflies and leaves that you put on your windows to keep them from dashing themselves brainless against the pane. The stick-ons are translucent so you can see through them into the yard but somehow iridescent in the bird's eyes so they DON'T see through them into the house. Once in a while a hummer thumps the glass anyway so I don't know how much good they are. At least the little critter seems unhurt and buzzes away in one piece.

I enjoy these humvees a lot more than GM's.

No comments:

Welcome to the Lake Shastina Bulletin Board!

If you would like to submit an article about an event or topic of local interest, just click HERE. You can also post comments to share information or to offer tips at the end of each article.
Bruce Batchelder, Editor