Monday, December 22, 2008

The Absolutely Bullet-Proof Bird Feeder


Aren't they cute? I fed them for months on end as a by-product of my well-meant effort to feed the birds around our yard. I didn't mean to, they just out-smarted me at every turn. Hang the feeder from a pole and they'd shinney up. Try dangling it from a suspended wire and the deer would paw it down.

So here's the secret, squirrel-proof, deer-proof, TELESCOPING bird feeder design: 30 inches of 2-1/2" PVC (for the base) + 60" of 2" + 40" of 1-1/2". They sleeve, you see so all you have to do is drill a hole for a pin and you can lower the actual feeder for refilling.

It's cheap, too. I spent about 16 bucks for the pipe, including having it all cut to length at Yreka Hardware so it would fit in my car. I used plumbers' tape to strap the base piece to our existing 36 inch high fence post so the overall height is a guaranteed eight, yes eight, feet above ground.

Of course the deer might knock it over and then I'll come back with one of those cones they put on dogs so they can't scratch their ears. Did I mention I'd tried little strips of cloth? They stuffed them in their cheeks and nipped them off for nest material.

No comments:

Welcome to the Lake Shastina Bulletin Board!

If you would like to submit an article about an event or topic of local interest, just click HERE. You can also post comments to share information or to offer tips at the end of each article.
Bruce Batchelder, Editor