Monday, August 9, 2010

Killing Squirrels in Lake Shastina


As we were walking the dogs the other day we passed a neighbor's house which has always had a remarkably neat yard. Never a pine needle or leaf on the lawn, all needles raked to bare dirt, etc.

So as we approach I noticed the owner standing in the yard in an odd pose: arms at his side with one slightly behind. He was staring upward, toward the top of a pine tree in the yard and the only thought that occured to me at the moment was why I could not see both of his hands if he was standing like that.

Then I saw the butt of a rifle in his right hand extending beyond his body, as if he was hiding it. A few paces later I heard a pop and a squirrel fell out of the tree and was flailing around on the ground. The man walked quickly over to the squirrel and put the rifle to its head and I heard another pop.

Evidently the squirrel was eating a pine cone and dropping the shards or whatever you call them, onto the lawn and damaging the man's idea of a clean lawn. I had seen the cone's 'leaves' for lack of the proper word scattered around the tree as we passed.

So it's okay to shoot them in our subdivision? I mean, it's odd enough that somebody would have to shoot a squirrel because it's making a 'mess'. But do I want bullets flying around the 'hood?

True, it may have been a pellet gun, or even a B-B gun. But they break windows and put out eyes too. Are there any CC&R's about this?

No comments:

Welcome to the Lake Shastina Bulletin Board!

If you would like to submit an article about an event or topic of local interest, just click HERE. You can also post comments to share information or to offer tips at the end of each article.
Bruce Batchelder, Editor