Sunday, April 27, 2008

Kentucky-Fried


My darling wife of 48 years asked the other day what I wanted for my 68th birthday dinner and I foolishly said "either mac and cheese or KFC". She, being a world-class cook said something like "I can't believe you want that garbage??!!"

So I naturally took the fore-doomed 'it makes all the sense in the world' approach which, after 48 years of marital bliss I should have known was dead before birthing.

"Why honey, it saves money and is what this meat-and-potatoes honey of yours really wants." Right. Those of us who are maritally-challenged may not recognize right off that otherwise bullet-proof arguments simply do not belong in romantic relationships.

Logic, as we were taught in school at least, simply does not work in situations like this. Try the $6 barber haircut vs the $50 hairdo argument if you doubt this wisdom.

But she went to KFC and (I can actually see this in Technicolor) grits her way though an order . . . a big bucket of that yucky fried THING with smaller buckets of gluck (mashed potatoes, gravy, coleslaw, etc.). This was hard for her and in retrospect, I appreciate the sacrifice.

As payment we are having clumpy fried chicken with that brown gravy that looks like drained motor oil for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and yes, breakfast again until I've paid for my error.

This is how it works people . . . take the offered gourmet dinner instead next time.

Trust me on this.

No comments:

Welcome to the Lake Shastina Bulletin Board!

If you would like to submit an article about an event or topic of local interest, just click HERE. You can also post comments to share information or to offer tips at the end of each article.
Bruce Batchelder, Editor