Saturday, May 24, 2008

What This Day Means to Me


Unlike many, I am not a veteran. I never fought in any war nor even saw boot camp. Maybe I'm lucky but I feel a little guilty that I never served my country in a military way.

I was born in 1940 so I was too young for WW II but I enjoyed the wonderful 50's despite Korea. I graduated from high school in 1958, after that war ended and went through college married with three kids, so Vietnam was out, too.

So on this day I feel humble. Men and women who never even got out of their twenties suffered and died in order that I could do these things. Some of them never got to even see their 20th birthday.

Put a flag up. They deserve it.

No comments:

Welcome to the Lake Shastina Bulletin Board!

If you would like to submit an article about an event or topic of local interest, just click HERE. You can also post comments to share information or to offer tips at the end of each article.
Bruce Batchelder, Editor