Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Brooklyn


This pub in Seattle is your classic oyster bar / steak house. The bank of ice behind the lady shows the days oyster, clam, and mussel specials and at any given time the Brooklyn offers a minimum of a dozen different species of oyster.

I realize many people either cannot or prefer not to think about oysters. They are after all best appreciated raw, on the half-shell. Accompanied by vinagrette, shaved horseradish, and sauce as pictured below. I think those are glasses of Chardonnay behind which is suggested but they may be candles, I'm not sure.

We ordered the appetizer mixed dozen and each type was listed in the menu with the same fruity descriptions they use with wine . . . "briney, with a buttery aftertaste" and so on. My favorite was the Rainier from Hood Canal. Large, salty, and fullsome.

Now I'm from the East Coast where they invented oysters. My dad taught me that TRUE oyster lovers do not even chew them, that would be gouche. The favorite in Boston was the Blue Point oyster and they are small, best enjoyed with a dip in butter. I still remember the glaze in Dad's eyes when he had a plate of them.

So, but, the Rainier would likely choke you it enjoyed in this manner and besides if I tried to claim oyster prescedence based on the ole blue blood clambake thing I might not have left the Brooklyn in one piece.

So anyway, since I cannot find a single oyster bar in Northern California except in Eureka on the coast, the Brooklyn is a fond memory that I shall cherish for some time.

No comments:

Welcome to the Lake Shastina Bulletin Board!

If you would like to submit an article about an event or topic of local interest, just click HERE. You can also post comments to share information or to offer tips at the end of each article.
Bruce Batchelder, Editor