Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mac and Cheese


Yes, I'm a mac victim. It's in my blood. If it were not for my my loving wife I would eat the darned stuff right out of the can. Probably heat the can on the stove, too.

But there is help. Chef Boyardee has a new Lo Carb version of my perversion. Whole wheat, no fat sauce, cutting edge culinary tech mac. It comes in a recyclable biodegradable paper container and tastes like. The container.

Cheese used to be good for us. Remember Daisy the cow? So why is all of it now No-No? Seems like somebody out there is just waiting to say "no, that's bad for you!!"

Now, here's the thing. My mom and dad came from the east coast. "Salad" to my mom was a slice of iceberg lettuce with sugar on it. Veggies? Well, we did boiled potatoes, beets, and well, you get the picture.

So when we moved west, California was a whole new culinary mystery. Dad never did figure out why people here liked avocados for example. "They don't have any taste" he used to say, this after boiled everything...

But now we are Californian. Avo is good. Sushi, calamari, sprouts. We're hip.

But dad was right. We don't know oysters here Out West. His favorite was blue point tinys from Long Island. Swallowed whole. Chewing them is / was well, not civilized. And I've done this. The "shooter" is the California version of dad's plan. With tequila, apparently.

So I have 'arrived' I guess, I really like California salads. And sushi. Maybe avocado does have a subtle taste, too ....

No comments:

Welcome to the Lake Shastina Bulletin Board!

If you would like to submit an article about an event or topic of local interest, just click HERE. You can also post comments to share information or to offer tips at the end of each article.
Bruce Batchelder, Editor