Monday, March 17, 2008

Where to NOT Go on Your Vacation



The only nice thing about getting sick is how teriffic you feel when you get better. Spouses who have to deal with this sort of thing deserve medals, I know mine does.

The doctor warned me to expect 5 to 7 days and she was right. Even though I was only down a week I count my blessings. I know one senior here who got it so bad they put him in the hospital for days, in ICU no less.

Had I come in within 48 hours of noticing the symptoms I might have licked it with a drug called Tamiflu, the same one they are stockpiling in case the avian flu turns pandemic. But of course being the macho dump truck type I figured it was a head cold and would disappear in a couple of days. So by the time my personality type had morphed into something more like a bowl of Jello my destiny was decided, at least for the next week.

Luckily though this new drug is also a preventative (thus the stockpiling) so the doctor prescribed it for Sally and she remains hale and healthy. Which is a godsend else I would have spent the week eating Spagettio's or Macaroni & Cheese right out of the can,which I probably would have heated right on the stove. I won't even go into what it might have been like with respect to linen changes, washed dishes, showers, etc.

The downside of Tamiflu is that it was $8.40 per pill which comes to $84 in the prescribed 10 pill regimen. Our Medicare Rx plan cut that to $34 but if you're not retired yet with that benefit that's a costly way to get well. How could a family with 3 kids afford to treat and prevent them all?

So listen up all you dump truck types; go see your doctor when you feel sick. If it's only a head cold, write the visit off as a social call. But if it's this stuff, you may just have saved a week of misery.

Editor

No comments:

Welcome to the Lake Shastina Bulletin Board!

If you would like to submit an article about an event or topic of local interest, just click HERE. You can also post comments to share information or to offer tips at the end of each article.
Bruce Batchelder, Editor